Sunday, November 4, 2012

Post #7 - Mad Men Site Pages

Home page: Introduction to show, characters, plot, etc. This will also serve as an introduction to the content of the site. I'll probably highlight Manovich's principle of transcoding. The site itself is a perfect representation of transcoding. I think its Manovich's most broad term and works for me here on a couple of levels: transforming a show into a functioning website as well as creating an intersection of culture and technology through the site.

Page two: This will be dedicated to memes and other fan art. It will be funny and entertaining. I'll highlight Manovich's principle of selection. The pieces that will be shown aren't created from scratch, rather, they are created by selection--selecting from menus and buttons to create a new media piece.

Page three: This page will highlight the cultural impact of the show. As stated on my last post, the show portrays the 60's  as virtually unrecognizable time period. To me, the show screams that we, as a culture, have come a long way in 50 years. Yay us! I'd like to highlight an an article or paper that articulates this thoughtfully and a lot better than I ever could. I'll probably tie this to Manovich's idea of transcoding--computers shaping culture and culture shaping computers.

Page four: I'd like to have a page that highlights the main characters. I want to post a picture, a brief bio, and maybe some of their best lines. If that turns out to be too ambitious, I'll just focus it on the main character, Don (okay, I just want an excuse to post pictures of Jon Hamm...sue me). I could tie this to Manovich's idea of modularity--using pictures as a modular piece of my site.

Page five: I'd like this page to be a place where I can post some of my favorite videos from the show. I'm not sure exactly where I want to go, but I want some sort of video element to my site. I easily tie the videos to modularity or to variability.

1 comment:

  1. Your part 3 is deep... I wish I came up with something that smart, good job :) I think we all used the same theories but we all went about a different was to tie them into our projects. I guess that is variability at work.

    Does anybody know who changed our background?? First impressions when I saw it... BWAHHH!

    ReplyDelete