Sunday, September 16, 2012

Blog Post 2

Mad Men is a show that works on so many levels. I love it. From the first season, I was hooked. The dialogue, the hair, the sets, the characters--it all drew me in.  Due to my mild obsession, I've decided to make Mad Men it the subject of my final project.

The real reason for this post is to talk about a Mad Men fan site that I found (http://www.madmenshow.com/). This site is filled with content relating to the show. It has links, pictures, and news on all things Mad Men. The links take the user to sites that relate to the show: the official AMC site, the actors' sites, and sites pertaining to the show's time period.

Fans who come to it are looking for a lot of Mad Men content: history, news, gossip, video, etc. The hyperlinks are tools that the site uses to get the fans the information they want quickly and easily. This site would be too overly-informative (and cluttered) if it posted every piece of Mad Men fan content in existence. For this reason, the hyperlinks are helping to organize it and make it look better.

The site is organized with the broad subjects easily read at the top (cast, episodes, etc.), and more concentrated categories listed on the left hand side (spoilers, fan fiction, etc.). The real content is in the center of the screen. Ads frame the content on the top, left, and even the bottom of the screen. Its made to look a lot like AMC's official site, however, the obnoxious flashing banners and lack of thoughtful design scream low-budget fan site. To its credit, one may think that it is the official site at first glance...if its a quick glance!

3 comments:

  1. Your first paragraph is inspiring. I will be honest my topic is not that exciting to me and after reading how "obsessed" you are with your topic i have begun to reconsider my topic because I only have a mild interest in my current topic of social networks. Although social network sites are fascinating they do not turn my gears like your topic seems to do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it impressive that your fan site could pass at the official site (even if it is a quick glance)! The site sounds well organized and user friendly. I also agree with Eric. Your passion for the show is definitely apparent in the way you describe it. I am excited to see how your project progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we discussed in class I'm not familiar with this show; however, after reading your description I'm very intrigued. I think it would be interesting to see fan interpretations of a show before actually seeing a show. I wonder how it might alter my own opinion of a show. It might very well make more appreciative of something I may have dismissed if I had just seen on my own. Also I wonder if this fan site gets more hits than the official site, it might be interesting to find out.

    ReplyDelete